Pageviews last month

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Rare Book Room

The Rare book room was quite a trip actually. From the moment I entered the room the aesthetics surrounding me truly enveloped me into the world of print. The room felt very aged, with the dark wood walls, to the dark shade of the floor.


The prints themselves were incredible. The fact I could physically touch a book printed from the 1500's was almost surreal. The leaf of the Gutenberg bible was a little underwhelming for me, however I think of it kind of like the Mona Lisa. It may seem like nothing much but behind the face value, lies a piece of work that is not only typographically incredible but so old in age. 


It was fantastic to also have a visual perspective of some of the works that I discussed in my presentation like Robert Thorne. The most interesting and enthralling piece I saw inside however were the wooden print blocks. All I could think about was being able to go and actually print a sentence or two with those blocks and keep the print as a piece of art. Something about the originality of the print and how it's made makes it so much more enticing and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment